Friday, January 28, 2011

Unfortunate side effects of potty training a young toddler...

Turns out, when you let a 20 month old boy run around in nothing but underpants for over a week, he is not going to be real keen on putting on pants again.

I think it is a combination of the newfound freedom that is not wearing a diaper and the fact that, let's face it, he is a boy.  He wants access to his favourite body parts all the time and I actually think being able to play with himself has been a bit of a motivating factor in this whole potty training business.  Sit on the potty? You mean like NAKED? I can touch my pee pee?!?! OKAY!!!!

He has said goodbye to the days of trying in vain to shove his little fingers down into a snug cloth diaper and cover and hello to the world of sitting around with his hands in his pants.  I don't get it, but I think it may be instinctive.

I'm not even joking about that, though.  I mean, think about it.  If you are, say, a caveman competing in the original Survivor - not to out wit, or out play, but just to out last - you probably need to reassure yourself that you'll be man enough to reproduce.  I'm sure there is some science about this but I don't care enough to look it up.  But I do think men do this unconsciously most of the time, and I'm not sure he realizes he is walking around the kitchen in socks, long sleeves, and Thomas the Tank Engine underpants in the smallest size they make with his little hand just hanging out in there, keeping tabs on the boys.

Suvival of the fittest, toddler style.

No comments:

Post a Comment