Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Sweet Potato Method

I was at Whole Foods the other day when I saw purple sweet potatoes, which not only intrigued me but also reminded me that we are fresh out of sweet potato cubes in the freezer.  Sweet potato is one of Boogie's favorites so I grabbed one for him to try.

Here's how I do it.
Take your sweet potato and wash it off.  Place it on a piece of foil, or on a cookie sheet.  Preheat the oven to 350 and go ahead and stick it in there.  Once the oven is heated, set the time for 30 minutes.  That's about how long it takes for a medium sized (not too fat) sweet potato for me.  I also threw in a regular sweet potato at the same time.

Since you are heating up the oven anyway, take a head of garlic, chop off the top half inch or so, sit it on its own foil sheet, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and EVOO and wrap the foil up around it.  Toss it in the oven with your potatoes.  You will be handsomely rewarded.


The potatoes are ready when they are nice and smushy and give easily.  They will bleed purple sugar all over the foil.  This is one instance where I prefer to throw a small piece of foil in the recycling than wash the sheet pan covered in sticky sugar.




Peel the skin off and...Mash!







Add the regular sweet potato and mash some more!

For a really smooth puree, you can use the blender.  But if they are really cooked well, you can probably mash them well enough with a fork or potato masher.



Your garlic will take a bit longer than 30 minutes.  45-60 minutes should do it.  It will be easy to squeeze all the garlic out.  Just push it into a small container, cover with EVOO if you aren't going to use it in the next day or so and stick it in the fridge.  Or, add some to Boogie's mashed sweet potato because he likes garlic!



Now just spoon into ice cube trays and freeze.  This is one of my fancy Tupperware ice cube trays.





There is it with the lid on it.  That's my husband on his way to put it in the freezer for me.







Oh, and Boogie loved it.  Forgot to get a picture of his purple-covered face but thankfully, it didn't stain.




Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment