Monday, April 12, 2010

Yogurt for Boogie

I love to give Boogie yogurt every day because I believe that it will help keep his digestive tract healthy.  So far, we haven't had any stomach sickness (or, for that matter, any sickness!) so I'm going to assume it works until we have a problem.

I started out buying the little individual cups of YoBaby from Stoneyfield Farms.  The plain is, in my opinion, the best way to go.  I add our own fresh fruit puree for flavor sometimes, but we take it plain most of the time.  I think it is important for him to not get used to having added sugar in yogurt.

I realized one day that I was spending too much on yogurt this way.  Those 6 cups, about 4oz each, cost about $2.99.  That's about 24oz, or about $.13 cents per ounce.  If I buy the 32oz organic "cream top" (whole milk) yogurt for $2.99, it's only about $.09 per ounce.

Because it is "cream top" yogurt, you do have to stir it up well to mix the cream in, but you need to do that with the little cups as well because they do the same thing.

I typically freeze half of the yogurt so that it keeps longer, because he isn't eating 32 oz of yogurt in a week, and after 6-7 days I start to feel like it's not fresh enough anymore.

So I freeze 4 6 oz glass bowls with about 4oz of yogurt in each one and when there is only about 1-2 servings of yogurt left in the original container, I take one out of the freezer.  They sometimes take a whole day or longer to completely thaw (my fridge is cold, what can I say?)

I'm still a fan of the individual cups for travel.  If we are going to be out for lunch, they fit nicely into a cooler bag made for holding a bottle/sippy cup.  Our glass bowls with the lids fit well, too, but they are a tight squeeze.  In general, though, I recommend feeding yogurt with no added sugar at least 90% of the time so that as your kids grow older, they are not accustomed to that extra sweetness.  You can always add fresh fruit puree and it will naturally sweeten without additional sugar.  Boogie even likes veggies with his plain yogurt, such as sweet potato.  The other day he wanted his broccoli mixed in!

Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment